Cartoon: September 28, 2015

first_imgShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

Doherty’s insurance bill ready to be signed into law by President

first_imgDonegal Deputy Pearse Doherty’s bill on consumer insurance reform has officially passed all stages of the Oireachtas and is on its way to be signed into law by the President.The Consumer Insurance Contracts Bill was approved by the Dáil on Thursday evening, having passed through the Seanad last week.It is expected to become law by the end of 2019. The legislation would modernise insurance contracts and prevent insurance companies refusing a claim when it has not received a full and complete disclosure from the customer, even in a situation where if this information had been disclosed, it would have had minimal or no impact on the decision to provide cover in the first place.The bill would also make it easier for the customer to withdraw from a contract. Any company that cancels a policy would also have to pay the customer the outstanding balance of the premium paid.Deputy Doherty said: “This legislation is the biggest win for policyholders in this Dáil. Sinn Féin will continue to stand up for workers and families.” Outlining the legislation, Doherty said: “Our Consumer Insurance Contracts Bill will shift the balance in favour of policyholders, by increasing transparency and strengthening the hand of the policyholder during their insurance contract. It is the only legislation that has been passed since 2016 that focusses on policyholders, increasing their protections.“On a personal note, this is my second piece of legislation to pass through the Oireachtas. The first, the Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Bill, was signed into law in July 2017, which strengthened the powers of the Financial Services Ombudsman, and allowed thousands of families to have their cases heard. Like this legislation, it put consumers first, above corporate and vested interests.“This legislation has been described as the most radical change in consumer law in centuries, and as a game-changer by the Alliance for Insurance Reform.“It would require companies to inform consumers of the past 5 years of premiums paid by customers, and claims paid to customers and third parties for all non-life insurance contracts.“From now on, where there is uncertainty in any document or contract, the rule of law and interpretation in favour of the consumer will prevail. Form now on, it will be up to the insurer to ask the relevant questions when a consumer or business takes out a policy, reversing the current status quo which places the burden and responsibility on the consumer to volunteer information. “Companies will no longer be able to easily settle third party claims without the policyholder knowing. They will have to inform customers of any claim made against their policy, allowing them to submit their own evidence and informing them of the cost of any claim against their policy that has been settled. “After last week’s revelations of some, enabled by the legal industry, engaging in fraudulent claims, this provision is crucial. It would ensure that policyholders would be told of any third party claims made against their policy, fraudulent or otherwise, and have a right to submit evidence concerning the claim.“The legislation would also make it harder for an insurer to wriggle out of paying valid claims on grounds that have nothing to do with the accident or loss incurred by the policyholder.“I want to thank Minister D’Arcy for his cooperation in facilitating the passage of this Bill. We now on track for it to be signed into law by Christmas,” Doherty concluded. Doherty’s insurance bill ready to be signed into law by President was last modified: December 20th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

South African authors nominated for international award

first_img19 November 2015Three South African writers have been nominated in what has been called the “world’s richest literary prize”, the International Dublin Literary Award.Zakes Mda’s Rachel’s Blue, Mandla Langa’s The Texture of Shadows and Imraan Coovadia’s Tales of the Metric System are in the running for the €100 000 (about R1.5-million) prize money.3 South Africans nominated for “world’s richest literary prize” https://t.co/frUtkVN3rc pic.twitter.com/9Y3RPqb5jR— Books LIVE (@BooksLIVESA) November 18, 2015Fans and organisations have congratulated the authors on social media.@BooksLIVESA @mandla_langa @ZakesMda Congratulations. All nominations so well deserved.— Pippa Green (@green_pippa) November 10, 2015Congrats to @mandla_langa @ZakesMda & Imraan Coovadia on their International Dublin Literary Award nominations https://t.co/wkhtL8CS4I— pen_southafrica (@pen_southafrica) November 10, 2015The awardThe annual award is in its 21st year. Nominations come in from libraries across the world.“The nomination process for the award is unique as nominations are made by libraries in capital and major cities throughout the world,” reads the Dublin Literary Award website.”Participating libraries can nominate up to three novels each year for the award. Over 400 library systems in 177 countries worldwide are invited to nominate books each year.”The winner will be announced on 9 June 2016. The three South Africans are among 160 titles in the running this year.Other awardsThe South African novels have already been given the nod on the local literary scene.Rachel’s Blue won the 2014/2015 University of Johannesburg Prize, The Texture of Shadows was longlisted for the inaugural FT/Oppenheimer Funds Emerging Voices Award for Fiction, and Tales of the Metric System was shortlisted for the 2015 Barry Ronge Prize.African authorsLiterary website Books Live made note of the other African authors who made it on to the nominated list in the International Dublin Literary Award.They are: Moroccan-American novelist Laila Lalami for The Moor’s Account; Scholastique Mukasonga, a Rwandan author living in France, for Our Lady of the Nile; Ethiopian-American novelist Dinaw Mengestu for All Our Names; and Nigerian-born Helen Oyeyemi, for Boy, Snow, Bird.The full list of nominees can be seen here.Source: Books Livelast_img read more

South Africa to launch first cube satellite

first_img14 November 2013 The Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) is set to make history with the launch of South Africa’s first cube satellite, ZACUBE-1, from the Yasny base in Russia at 09:10 South African time on 21 November, the university announced on Monday. The nano-satellite is a single unit carrying a space weather experiment, and will be sent up atop the RS-2OB rocket Dnepr. Running on the same amount of power as a five-watt bulb, ZACUBE-1 will orbit Earth up to 15 times a day at an altitude of 600 kilometres. Measuring only 10x10x10cm and weighing 1.2kg, it is about 100 times smaller than Sputnik, the first satellite launched into space in 1957. It will carry a high frequency beacon which will be used to study the spread of radio waves through the ionosphere. This will provide space weather data to the South African National Space Agency (Sansa). Funded by the Department of Science and Technology, the satellite was designed and built by CPUT postgraduate students in collaboration with Sansa, following the CubeSat programme at the French South African Institute of Technology (F’SATI). “The launch of CubeSat is proof of the skills and the facilities we are gradually developing to ensure space science and technology really benefits every citizen of South Africa,” Science and Technology Minister Derek Hanekom said in a statement. The director of F’SATI, Professor Robert Van Zyl, said the strength of the CubeSat programme was its use of cube satellites as technology platforms for practical skills training and applied research. “This approach offers our students a unique learning experience and prepares them to participate in the South African space industry.” Established in 2009, the CubeSat programme has graduated 32 master’s students, bringing to 42 the total number of F’SATI alumni at CPUT. The programme has also provided internships to 15 of the graduates as engineers-in-training. The nano-satellite, designated “ZA-003” in the national register of space assets, follows in the footsteps of micro-satellites Sunsat and SumbandilaSat. Cube satellites, or “cubesats”, were originally developed in the United States in 1999 by California Polytechnic State University and Stanford University to help universities worldwide perform space science and exploration. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Geocaching.com’s Lost & Found Video Trailer

first_imgLost & Found celebrates ten amazing years of geocaching and it stars YOU!We’ve spent months uncovering the heartwarming, jaw-dropping and wondrous stories that define the worldwide phenomenon. Here’s a trailer of what’s in store in our Lost & Found series. You’ll see new videos released each week starting this May. Coming soon you’re invited to explore a new Geocaching.com destination dedicated to “discovering the lost stories of geocaching.” You’ll also be able to add your own favorite Lost & Found stories. Let us know what you think!Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedGroundspeak Weekly Newsletter – 6/3/2010May 22, 2010In “News”The Founders – Geocaching’s Lost & Found Video PremiereMay 18, 2010In “Community”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – January 5, 2011January 5, 2011In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”last_img read more

PSL: Resurgent Cocolife makes it 3 in a row, dumps Foton

first_imgView comments LATEST STORIES Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving Typhoon ‘Tisoy’ threatens Games MOST READ Returning Romeo still re-adjusting to physicality in PBA Milton had 11 points and 15 digs while Salak dished out 19 excellent sets.Former national team mainstay Nene Bautista also gave Cocolife a lift with timely hits. She only scored six points but her last two conversions ended the game.Imports Brooke Kranda and Elizabeth Wendel had 12 points apiece for the Tornadoes (1-2), who suffered their second straight setback.ADVERTISEMENT Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMCcenter_img Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City “This was the first time that you actually saw our teamwork,” said Klisura, who set the PSL record last year with 41 points.“All of the parts worked well and all of the players did their job so that was how we won like all the players did a very good job and that makes me happy.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutCocolife lost its first two games of the conference but has been a different team as of late with Klisura at the forefront of the team’s resurgence.American import Taylor Milton and savvy setter Tina Salak have also picked it up a notch to provide the Asset Managers another weapon and more stability on the defensive end. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Read Next Elizabeth Anne Wendel of Foton vs Sarah Klisura of Cocolife. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOCocolife continued its winning ways after cruising past Foton, 25-19, 25-22, 25-18, in the 2018 Philippine Superliga Grand Prix Saturday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Serbian star Sara Klisura scored at will against her former team and finished with 28 points to lead the Asset Managers, who rolled to their third straight win.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexicolast_img read more

ICC ban on runners is unfair

first_imgLast year the ICC technical committee, in its deliberations, decided that a runner would not be allowed for a batsman.That decision was no doubt prompted to a great extent by batsmen, who were tiring, but did not wish to retire and thus lose out on momentum, asking for runners, so that they could simply bat and let some other person with fresh, and perhaps younger, legs do the running for them.There had been the instance earlier when Andrew Strauss, the England skipper, who had refused a runner to his South Africa counterpart Graeme Smith, since the latter was cramping up and couldn’t run. His reasoning was that a cramp was not an injury, but a fitness issue and so Smith did not deserve a runner.There was a bit of huffing and puffing about that in the media of both countries and understandably the stance taken was different by different people.Strauss was correct as cramps should not be a reason for allowing a runner, but then Smith could well have pretended that it was a muscle injury and he would then be allowed a runner. That Smith was honest enough to admit that he was suffering cramps didn’t help his cause, but it showed how in modern day cricket, it does not always pay to be honest and maybe that is the reason why players leave it to the umpires to make the call when an appeal is made for a dismissal, even though they may know they were out or not out.The ICC’S decision to ban runners did make a lot of people sit up because there was no simultaneous balance for bowlers going off the field with an ‘injury’. Now lots of players in the game know that bowlers often take off just to rest up a bit or have a rub down or a refreshing shower, or even a dip in the ice bath and then come back to bowl relatively ‘new’.In limited-overs cricket, many teams have used the strategy of finishing some of their bowlers’ quotas and then sending them off the field so that a quicker substitute fielder can come in for the last few overs and save crucial runs that can make the difference between winning and losing. This is one of the anomalies of the laws of the game and while some will argue that since most cricket laws are made to suit batsmen, there should be at least some that favour the bowlers.There will always be people who will try and take advantage of the laws and bend them as much as possible and cricket captains are no different. That is the reason why we have seen in the ICC Twenty 20 that some bowlers who have finished their quota of overs have gone back to the dug-out, and a younger, more agile fielder comes in to substitute for him, and save a few runs. This is something that the ICC needs to take a close look at.The umpires on the field are busy trying to control the game and in any case they are not doctors, so if a bowler says that he has got a pulled muscle or something, they are not going to stop the player from going off to have his injury attended to. This is where the rule banning runners for batsmen looks unfair for they could be having a genuine injury for which they don’t get subs, but bowlers get one even if they are just going for a change of a sweaty shirt.The playing conditions are decided by the ICC technical committee and then usually endorsed by the executive board before they are introduced in world cricket.Most times, some new conditions are tried out in the domestic competitions of member countries, and once a report on the viability of it is verified then they are brought into international cricket. The laws of the game though are still the property of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and they decide on a lot of controversial topics rather than ICC, the governing body of the game, which is baffling to many a cricket lover.The business about the switch hit and the issue of the hyperextension of the arm while bowling, have been ruled upon not by the ICC, but by MCC. The ICC does not meet with universal approval for its lack of ability to lay down the law that doesn’t help either. Then it lets the MCC take a lot of calls on the correctness or otherwise of the contentious switch hits and hyperextensions. No wonder it is often referred to as a toothless body.Added to this is the fact that the MCC has a world cricket committee whose discussions get a load of publicity despite the committee having no real authority to deal with issues of world cricket. It is like the Cricket Club of India or Madras Cricket Club, or the National Cricket Club, forming its own technical committee despite the BCCI having its technical committee and wanting to impose its decisions on Indian cricket. It would simply not be accepted, would it?The ICC has just had a change with David Richardson, the new CEO of the world body. He was earlier the general manger of cricket and drove many of the changes that have come into the game, some of which have been applauded and a few criticised. As he settles down to the job, he will hopefully take the call on the absurdity of banning the runners for batsmen even while allowing a substitute for a bowler to go off for a few overs. That of course is just one of the many calls he will need to take to make the game a truly balanced one.advertisementadvertisementlast_img read more