FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Sydney Morning Herald:The $5 billion-plus Terminal 4 coal export expansion planned for Newcastle has been scrapped after demand for the fossil fuel failed to increase as expected.Port Waratah Coal Services said on Thursday that it would allow a lease for the terminal – known as T4 – to lapse, signalling that the project would not go ahead.Port Waratah’s two terminals, Carrington and Kooragang, last year exported 105 million tonnes of coal out of a combined capacity of 145 million tonnes, the company said in a statement.Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group, operator of the city’s third terminal, shipped about 60 million tonnes, helping make Newcastle one of the largest coal export centres in the world.“With significant growth capacity available in the existing terminals, we do not expect that the conditions to support an investment of the large and long-term nature of Terminal 4 will be in place before the development approval lapses in September 2020,” Hennie du Plooy, chief executive of Port Waratah, said.The company is understood to have sunk many millions of dollars into T4, a project that secured its original lease in 2009. The first stage envisaged a 25 million tonne per year terminal, with plans to expand that in the future to 70 million tonnes.Jeremy Buckingham, Greens energy spokesman, said T4 becoming terminal was “wonderful news.”“Reality is catching up with the great lie that we can continue to export coal in an age of climate change,” Mr Buckingham said.The Greens called on the government “to develop a transition strategy away from coal” and the party would be making this a key election issue, he said.John Mackenzie, a Newcastle City Councillor, also welcomed the T4 decision.“From the outset the economics was against this, the science was against this and the community was against it but because of our broken planning system it was approved anyway,” Mr Mackenzie said.“Communities are sick of being placed in limbo by a planning system which has no red lights and a Government who won’t show leadership by refusing new fossil fuel projects at the outset.”More: Newcastle’s T4 coal port expansion scrapped as demand fails to rise Australia: Developers Scrap Plans for Coal-Export Expansion in Newcastle
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Heavy machinery was brought in to plow a parking lot in Bay Shore on Monday, Feb. 3, 2014.Nearly 10 inches of heavy snow that canceled school, business and travel Monday on Long Island is forecast to freeze overnight before another snow storm could bring 4-to-8 more inches this week.The wet, slushy snow that tapered off after sundown is expected to turn to ice once temperatures drop into the 20s or below at night, making for a slippery Tuesday morning commute, forecasters said. The National Weather Service also issued a winter storm watch for Nassau County from Tuesday night through Wednesday afternoon.“The next one is even trickier,” said Joey Picca, an meteorologist in the agency’s Upton office. “As we go through the night time hours, then what we’re looking at is the snow start to mix with freezing rain and sleet.”Just like the storm that hit Monday, the forecast is likely to change before arrival, but is expected to be “significant” nonetheless. A half inch of ice is expected to coat the snow this time.After that storm breaks, there’s a growing chance of another storm capable of significant snowfall moving in from the south this weekend, although that is far from set, Picca said.The storm Monday downed tree branches and power lines, causing more than 4,000 homes and businesses to lose power at the worst point, PSEG Long Island said. Most of those were restored by evening.The Long Island Rail Road was mostly running on time on a normal schedule and major roadways appeared plowed, but air travelers in town for the Super Bowl were reportedly stranded at New York City airports overnight until flights resume Wednesday.Unofficial snowfall amounts as of mid-day Monday topped out at 9.9 in Centerport, 9.3 in Mattituck and 8 inches even in Saint James with North Merrick and Albertson tied for the highest amount in Nassau at 8.8 inches..
Statement Harrisburg, PA – Jeff Sheridan, Governor Wolf’s press secretary, released the following statement:“Tomorrow, Governor Tom Wolf will have an outpatient procedure as part of his previously announced prostate cancer treatment. He will be spending Tuesday and Wednesday at his home and return to the office on Thursday.”Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf June 13, 2016 Statement Regarding Governor Wolf’s Prostate Cancer Treatment SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Paris: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, fighting it out for the year-end world number one spot, edged closer to a possible Paris Masters final clash as both eased into the last four on Friday. The 33-year-old Nadal, who can secure the end-of-year top ranking ahead of Djokovic by winning his maiden Bercy title, beat French wildcard Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6 (7/4), 6-1. Nadal is bidding for a record-extending 36th Masters crown and will take on Denis Shapovalov in the last four on Saturday after the Canadian youngster thrashed Gael Monfils 6-2, 6-2. The Spaniard has reached the semis for the first time at the event since 2013, having withdrawn injured before the quarter-finals on his last appearance in 2017. “I’ve had a lot of injuries in this tournament (historically),” said Nadal. “I’m happy to be back in the semi-finals.” Djokovic had earlier crushed seventh seed Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-1, 6-2 and will next face Grigor Dimitrov, who saw off unseeded Chilean Cristian Garin 6-2, 7-5. Nadal has now reached 73 Masters semi-finals in total and is two wins away from his 85th ATP title, but only third indoors. Tsonga was rock solid on serve in a first set which did not see a single service game from either player even reach deuce.But second seed Nadal stepped it up in the tie-break, with two incredible winners on the run helping him take a crucial one-set lead. Tsonga’s serve briefly deserted him in the second game of the second set, as successive double faults allowed Nadal to claim the first break of the match and he then sped to victory. Djokovic swats aside Tsitsipas Djokovic said he played “one of his best matches of the season” to thrash Tsitsipas. The 32-year-old dispatched his Greek opponent in only 58 minutes. The 16-time Grand Slam champion went into the match with a 2-1 losing record against Tsitsipas, but put the young world number seven in his place with a commanding victory. “I played one of the best matches of the season,” said Djokovic. “I prepared myself very well for this match. I lost to Stefanos about three weeks ago in Shanghai. And obviously I went through the videos and understanding on what I did well, what I didn’t do so well, what I can do better.” Novak Djokovic can ensure the race to be the best player at the end of the year reaches the ATP Tour Finals in London by winning a fifth Paris Masters title. (Image credit: Getty Images)Djokovic will be usurped by Nadal at the top of the rankings next week, but can ensure the race to be the best player at the end of the year reaches the ATP Tour Finals in London by winning a fifth Paris Masters title. The defeat ended Tsitsipas’ run of three consecutive semi-finals and dealt a blow to his confidence ahead of his maiden appearance at the season-ending championships, which start on November 10. Djokovic holds an 8-1 winning head-to-head record against Dimitrov. “He (Dimitrov) has been one of the best talents we had in the sport in the last decade,” said Djokovic, who is bidding to tie Pete Sampras’ record of finishing as the year-end number one on six occasions. “He’s been playing some terrific tennis this week… I don’t play too bad myself, so it’s going to be for sure a good one.” Dimitrov marches on Former world number three Dimitrov last reached the semis at a Masters tournament in Monte Carlo in 2018, but has rediscovered his form in recent weeks after heading into the US Open ranked 78th. The Bulgarian became the lowest-ranked player to reach a Grand Slam semi-final since 2008 at Flushing Meadows, before losing to Daniil Medvedev. World number 42 Garin, playing in his first Masters quarter-final, served for the second set at 5-4, but the 28-year-old Dimitrov reeled off three straight games to claim an impressive victory. Also Read | Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic Enter Paris Open Masters Quarterfinal Shapovalov cruised into the fourth Masters semi-final of his young career by ending Monfils’ bid to reach the ATP Finals. Home favourite Monfils was one victory away from pipping Italian Matteo Berrettini to a ticket to London, but was blown away by a brilliant Shapovalov performance. “He (Berrettini) had better give me a bottle of wine or something,” joked world number 28 Shapovalov. For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.