As public outcry against the increase in transportation fares continue, commercial drivers have again stepped up fares to all destinations in Monrovia.On Monday February 23, fares from Red-Light Market to central Monrovia were increased from LD$60 to LD$100.00, which resulted to hundreds of commuters being stranded.Despite the Ministries of Transport, Commerce and Industry’s decision to reduce transportation prices six weeks ago, drivers on several occasions make their own prices, when conditions favor it.The arbitrary increase of transport fares has sparked bitter confrontation between drivers and commuters.Reports from Duala have confirmed that some drivers have also stepped up fares.In several interviews with commuters, they sounded urgent calls to the Ministries of Transport and commerce for intervention.In an interview at the Red-light Market on Monday morning, businessman Patrick B. Bolton said that until the MOT and MOCI act now, the situation would degenerate.Central Monrovia’s businesswoman Patricia M. Philips, 58, noted that until the MOT and MOCI’s Ministers can graduate from issuing empty and sugar-coated utterances and promises, the situation would continue to worsen.Mrs. Philips said the Liberian government must muster the courage to ensure the practical enforcement of its regulations.Civil servant Thomas B. Kollison, 64, said adjusted transport fares’ must be enforced.Foreign merchant Allie B. Hassan, 55, of Duala General Market said the ministries involved must set example by enforcing their own regulations.Waterside businessman Sam B. Kun, 48, intimated that commercial drivers must be monitored to ensure compliance of government’s decision.“I suggest the MOT and MOCI employ transport fare regulators,” Mr. Kun pleaded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
For the 2nd XI @dexy214 has hit 6 6s off the last over, taking him from 63 off 51 to 128 off 69! Incredible scenes!! pic.twitter.com/fz0pOwoMrs— Middlesex Cricket (@Middlesex_CCC) July 6, 2015Captured on camera, this is the moment Middlesex’s Neil Dexter etched his name into club history by smashing six sixes in an over.The former first-team skipper was playing in a second XI game at Bristol when he launched 19-year-old Gloucestershire off-spinner Miles Hammond for consecutive maximums.Dexter was eventually dismissed for 147 off 74 balls as Middlesex posted 381-5 in 44 overs, winning by 56 runs on the Duckworth-Lewis Method.Dexter told West London Sport: “It’s something I’ve never achieved in my life and something I never thought I’d achieve.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
“Hey bro we not doubling in open gym. I … Length is a big deal in basketball. Legs, arms, wingspan, stride, elevation. The longer the better.One possible exception: A long memory.Three former Warriors teammates — Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala and Kevin Durant — were recently included in a hot topic circulating on Twitter.The subject sprung to life recently when Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker got his tank top in a knot because he was getting double-teamed during a pick-up game.
Odisha’s Forest and Environment Minister Bikram Keshari Arukha informed the State Assembly on Tuesday that 5.97 lakh trees had been felled in the last six years to make way for the construction and widening of roads. Mr. Arukha, however, claimed that forest cover in the State has gone up by 25% in the past decade.Paying a heavy environmental price for development, it was revealed that the Odisha Forest Development Corporation cut down the trees for 437 road projects across the State. The current fiscal year has been the most devastating for forest cover in Odisha: of the 5,97,090 trees felled since 2011-12, 3,15,838 were cut down in 2016-17.Worst hit Keonjhar district has been the worst hit with 94,996 trees felled — 20% of total trees lost — in the past three years for 23 road projects. In 2016-17 alone, Keonjhar lost 76,439 trees while Kalahandi district lost 62,959 trees.Other affected districts include Sundargarh, Sambalpur, Bolangir, Jharsuguda and Jajpur.Although the Odisha government claims to have planted 1.65 crore trees along 24.57 lakh km of roads in the past decade, the chances of the trees surviving is doubtful. In 2016-17, avenue plantation was taken up along 5,462 km of roads, said Mr. Arukha. New variety“The loss cannot be compensated. Thousands of trees felled for road projects in Keonjhar and Kalahandi were over 70 years old. Mature fruit-bearing trees were sustaining wildlife. The trees planted now are of the exotic and fast-growing variety,” said Biswajit Mohanty, environmentalist and former member of the National Board for Wildlife.Trans-location“The State government never thought of trans-locating trees while taking up road projects. In Puducherry and Tamil Nadu, trees are uprooted and replanted at another place. Had translocation been done here, we could have saved 60% of the trees,” said Mr. Mohanty.The loss of green cover to road projects is just the tip of the iceberg. As many as three lakh trees were felled as part of the land acquisition process undertaken for the shelved POSCO mega-steel project near Paradip town four years ago. While 2.25 lakh of the felled trees came under the forest-classified category, 75,000 were fruit-bearing species.The residents of Rajkanika in Kendrapara district had opposed the felling of trees for the Cuttack-Chandbali road project. “Trees from the colonial era were cut down. When NH authorities decided to fell trees, we opposed it. But nobody paid heed to us. These losses cannot be compensated,” said Gayadhar Dhal, a resident of Rajkanik
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has assured the parents of the two men lynched in Karbi Anglong that he would request the Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court to fast-track the trial, an official statement released here on Wednesday said.Nilotpal Das (29) and Abhijeet Nath (30) were pulled out of their vehicle at Panjuri in Karbi Anglong district on June 8 and beaten to death by a group of irate villagers, who suspected them to be child-lifters.The victims’ fathers, Ajit Kumar Nath and Gopal Chandra Das, called on Mr. Sonowal on Tuesday evening and submitted a petition demanding maximum punishment for the culprits. They also demanded constitution of SIT for expeditious investigation in the case, the release said.Mr. Sonowal told them that the SIT had already been constituted under a Deputy Superintendent of Police and acting swiftly, the Assam police had nabbed all the accused within a short period of time, it said.A total of 64 people, including the prime accused, have been arrested in the case. The CM is personally monitoring the progress of the case.
It’s his third home run in 16 Florida State League games following a promotion from Class A Columbia, and his sixth home run in 80 games overall in his first season as a minor leaguer.Tebow has hit safely in 11 straight games and is batting .327 with 10 RBIs with St. Lucie. All three of his home runs with the Mets have gone to the opposite field.“The goal is just to stay behind as many balls as I can. See it, let it get deep. When you stay behind it, it goes the other way,” he said.Tebow’s high shot cleared the fence about 20 feet inside the foul pole, thrilling the 2,667 fans — many of whom arrived early to see the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner in action.The victory capped a doubleheader sweep for the Mets. Minor league teams commonly play two seven-inning games during doubleheaders.ADVERTISEMENT The former NFL quarterback went deep with one out against Cincinnati Reds farmhand Austin Orewiler, smacking a first-pitch fastball over the fence in left field. Tebow was doused with Gatorade and mobbed by teammates when he reached home plate.“It was fun to celebrate with all the guys,” Tebow said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe 29-year-old Tebow said it was his first walk-off homer since his junior year at Nease High School in Ponte Vedra Beach, near Jacksonville. The former Florida quarterback did not play in his senior year in order to focus on football.“(The high school homer) was for the district championship. That felt pretty good, but this one was special,” Tebow said. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim View comments MOST READ LATEST STORIES Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Lakers’ Lonzo Ball posts triple-double, this time in Adidas El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ FILE – In this April 6, 2017, file photo, Columbia Fireflies’ Tim Tebow watches his home run in his first at bat on the opening day during a Class A minor league baseball game against the Augusta GreenJackets in Columbia, S.C. Tebow hit the ball well in his first week with the St. Lucie Mets, though his team dropped five of his first six games there. Tebow batted .429 in his first week in the Florida State League, where as expected he’s getting plenty of attention. (AP Photo/Sean Rayford, File)PORT ST. LUCIE, Florida — Tim Tebow seems to have found his stroke since getting back to his home state.Tebow hit the first game-ending home run of his pro baseball career Thursday night, lifting the Class A St. Lucie Mets over the Daytona Tortugas 5-4 in a seven-inning game.ADVERTISEMENT Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games
Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting 1 dead, 3 injured in Quezon road crash LATEST STORIES View comments Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem MOST READ P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Westbrook has had run-ins with fans before — and reacted calmly last month when it appeared he was touched by a child sitting courtside. Others have not been as pleasant, and Denver’s Will Barton said he believes fans know they can get a reaction from Westbrook.“They know he’s going to react a little bit or might say something,” Barton said. “Now I feel like every time he goes on the road, they’re picking at him. I don’t know what the league can do, but some of those fans are out of control.”In a social media age, anything can be captured by cameras. TMZ Sports obtained video last week of New York Knicks owner James Dolan at Madison Square Garde n when he heard a fan that he was walking past yell “Sell the team.” Dolan told the fan he was rude, asked if he wanted to come to any more games and then told him to “enjoy watching them on TV.”Fans boo. That’s expected and even encouraged in arenas. But unlike games in the NFL, NHL and Major League Baseball, fans in the best seats at NBA arenas sit only a few inches from the playing surface, the coaches and the players — with no obstruction between them. On occasion, some coaches are even seen engaging in conversations with fans during games.Sometimes, the banter is friendly. Often, it is not.“It’s great having fans into their home team, and taunting and that noise level in great arenas, opposing places, is awesome,” Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said. “That’s what you want. But you don’t need to cross the line and say something that you would never say if you were walking up to one of these guys on the street.”One of the league’s lowest moments came Nov. 19, 2004, during a game between Indiana and Detroit. Tensions boiled over on the floor after a hard foul led to some pushing and shoving, and then fans became involved — a drink was thrown at the Pacers’ bench, prompting Metta World Peace (then known as Ron Artest) to climb into the stands. A melee ensued, and nine players were suspended.Nothing to that extreme has happened since, though incidents between players and fans are hardly uncommon.There is a fan code of conduct at all NBA games, including a part that says guests “will enjoy the basketball experience free from disruptive behavior, including foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.” Violators are dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and each team handles things its own way. At the Utah game Monday night, some fans were issued warning cards but allowed to return to their seats.Keisel told Salt Lake City television station KSL that he told Westbrook to “sit down and ice your knees, bro.” Westbrook claimed that Keisel said to “get down on my knees like you’re used to.” “The Utah Jazz will not tolerate fans who act inappropriately,” the Jazz said in a statement. “There is no place in our game for personal attacks or disrespect.”READ: NBA fines Russell Westbrook $25,000 for language; Jazz ban fan permanentlyFEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesWestbrook was fined $25,000 for “directing profanity and threatening language to a fan.” In the video, which was posted to Twitter by The Deseret News , Westbrook is seen on the sideline near the Thunder bench saying “I’ll (bleep) you up, you and your wife.”The comment, and threatening a woman, is not a good look for the image-conscious NBA — especially since it came from a former Most Valuable Player and one of the game’s biggest stars. But Westbrook, who has had multiple angry in-game exchanges with fans, insisted that Monday night’s video during a 98-89 Oklahoma City win over the Jazz told only one side of the story. He said he was responding to a racial taunt, and not for the first time in Salt Lake City. Hong Kong tunnel reopens, campus siege nears end Oklahoma City Thunder’s Russell Westbrook gets into a heated verbal altercation with fans in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Utah Jazz, Monday, March 11, 2019, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)NBA star Russell Westbrook will play in Utah again one day. When he does, a fan who allegedly made racial taunts against him will not be there to watch.A day after the Oklahoma City Thunder standout directed vulgar comments — which were captured on video and went viral — toward two fans, the Utah Jazz responded by banning a fan from their arena. Westbrook also got support from Jazz star Donovan Mitchell, who said it wasn’t the first time a racially motivated event happened at a Jazz game.ADVERTISEMENT The Thunder did not have any comment other than the statement Westbrook made to reporters after the game.Westbrook has been upset about fans in Utah before. The Jazz eliminated the Thunder from last season’s playoffs, and as Westbrook walked off the floor immediately after that loss, he swiped at a fan who was taping him with his phone. Later that night, Westbrook described fans in Utah as “truly disrespectful.”“Most of the time, the microphone or the camera is on the player,” Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade said. “It goes both ways. A lot of times it’s started from the other way and is directed at the player. You want to say, ‘Be above it. Be bigger than that.’ But a lot of times, if it’s personal, it becomes some things that you just cannot deny or you cannot ignore.”Westbrook and the Thunder have finished their season series with the Jazz. Unless the teams meet in the playoffs, the earliest he would play again in Salt Lake City is next October.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Trump campaign, GOP groups attack Google’s new ad policy SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Urgent reply from Philippine football chief “Every time I come here, a lot of disrespectful things are said,” Westbrook said. He added that he has never physically abused a woman and never would.The man Westbrook was shouting at during the game, identified as Shane Keisel, denied saying anything improper or profane. The Jazz did not name Keisel in their statement announcing the ban, and a phone number for him rang unanswered.READ: Russell Westbrook revives beef with Utah Jazz fansWhat exactly happened is unclear, but some of Westbrook’s peers in the NBA came to his defense Tuesday, saying fans who sit near players in many arenas now feel emboldened to say things that would be described as disrespectful or worse. Mitchell said he will devote some time in the coming months to try to combat racial inequality. The most recent population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show that about 2 percent of Utah’s population is black, the lowest percentage of any state that has a major pro sports team.“Racism and hate speech hurts us all, and this is not the first time something like this has happened in our arena,” Mitchell said. “The Utah that I have come to love is welcoming and inclusive, and last night’s incident is not indicative of our fan base.”ADVERTISEMENT Serge Ibaka suspended 3 games, Marquese Chriss 1 game for fight PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss