Bidders come for ‘massive bargain’ at Public Trustee auction in Auchenflower

first_imgThis home at 34 Annie Street, Auchenflower went to auction on Saturday after being in the one family for more than 50 years.TWENTY-one registered bidders were not enough to stop an inner-city house from passing in at auction after bidding stalled at $840,000.In one of the first Public Trustee auctions since the statutory authority returned to the market following the COVID-19 lockdown in Queensland, only three people raised their bidder cards to take part in the auction of 34 Annie Street, Auchenflower. “(With Public Trustee auctions) people think they’re going to get a massive bargain but our role is to look after the seller’s interest. So we sell for what’s fair on the market,” Public Trustee director of property Joanne Edsor said.But after closing the auction and thanking the crowd of 100 for their attendance, auctioneer and agent Paul Gaffney scrambled to secure a deal and within five minutes the property was sold under auction conditions for $860,000 to the family who made the opening bid. SEE WHAT ELSE IS FOR SALE IN AUCHENFLOWER MORE PROPERTY STORIES FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK Southerners buying in Queensland sight unseencenter_img Public Trustee auctioneer and selling agent Paul Gaffney at the auction of 34 Annie Street, Auchenflower.“We did 19 auctions last weekend and we sold 13 of them, half of those, the first person to bid ended up buying the house,” Mr Gaffney said.The reserve had been set at $900,000. The crowd gathers before the auction begins.Standing on the street in the middle of the crowd was freight train driver Anton Bubrle who had been looking after his mother’s two-bedroom house in Auchenflower since Ludmila Bartunek moved into a nursing home two years ago. Anton and Bianca Bubrle in the house Anton grew up in.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa7 hours agoParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus8 hours ago“I have very mixed feelings, I grew up here. It’s sad, a chapter of my life is gone,” Mr Bubrle said. “It cost us $9000 at the time (in 1969). But mum isn’t moving back and it’s time. Anything around here is redone to such a high standard, it’s become a very rich area. Trust me, we weren’t rich when we moved in.” But the memories of his mother’s famous homemade cheesecakes and pork schnitzel that she used to make for the Czech Club, and the creaking of a particular floorboard at the entrance to the living room, will never be forgotten. The kitchen was where everyone came to chat while Ludmila Bartunek would make her famous Czech food.“I’ve always liked the sound of that crack, for me it sounds like home,” Mr Bubrle’s wife Bianca said. “I noticed it the first time I came to visit Anton in 1994.”The property was one of more than 50 to go to auction across Brisbane yesterday. Where you can invest for lesslast_img read more

Syracuse advances to quarterfinals of ACC tournament with 83-64 victory over North Carolina

first_imgAlexis Peterson’s 29 points led sixth-seeded Syracuse (21-9, 11-5 Atlantic Coast) to an 83-64 victory over North Carolina Thursday night at the HTC Center in Conway, South Carolina. With the ACC Tournament second round win, the Orange will advance to face third-seeded Duke on Friday at 8 p.m.Eleven 3-pointers, 32 points in the paint and 27 points off turnovers helped Syracuse spring out to a 30-23 lead. By the end of the third quarter, SU commanded a 25-point advantage. The Orange’s 32 second-chance points is its highest total since Dec. 4 against Central Connecticut State, a 21-game span.“We had to rebound the ball,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “We really did a good job of crashing the boards and getting opportunities, second-chance opportunities and we were really aggressive.”Peterson, who was named this week the ACC Player of the Year, added six assists and grabbed seven rebounds. Redshirt senior guard Brittney Sykes scored 16 points and had 12 rebounds while senior center Briana Day scored 11 points and had a game-high 15 boards. Senior forward Isabella Slim scored nine points on 3-of-7 from the floor, the most she has scored since Jan. 8.Tip between the Orange and Blue Devils is set for Friday at 8 p.m. On Feb. 10, then-No. 14 Blue Devils handed Syracuse a 72-55 loss in Durham. In that meeting, Peterson and Sykes were held to a combined 30 points. SU committed 15 turnovers, shot only 25.4 percent from the field and got out-rebounded by nine. Duke’s 44 paint points were the most SU has allowed since December 2015.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“They attacked us in transition and when you don’t score, you can’t press, and that was big for us because we didn’t make enough shots,” Hillsman said. “We couldn’t get into our pressure. Hopefully we can get some shots to go in early and be able to press them.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 2, 2017 at 11:37 pm Contact Matthew: mguti100@syr.edu | @MatthewGut21last_img read more

SBC’s On The Ball – La Liga plots controversial US growth

first_img StumbleUpon Submit Related Articles Share With football fans all over the world already enthralled by the club season, this week’s edition of On The Ball looks at some major stories from the business of football. Taking a deeper look at La Liga’s US expansion, as well as some big news from broadcasting. Spanish La Liga seeks stateside expansionIn a proposal that could come to fruition as early as this year, La Liga is planning on hosting regular season games in The United States.The League has not currently revealed which clubs, or how many it plans on taking to the States, but should the deal go ahead, it seems highly likely that at least Real Madrid and Barcelona will be utilised by the League as it looks to boost its US footprint.La Liga president Javier Tebas commented: “We’re devoted to growing the passion for soccer around the world. This groundbreaking agreement is certain to give a major impulse to the popularity of the beautiful game in the U.S. and Canada. Relevent has filled stadiums across the U.S. with the International Champions Cup, [and] we’re thrilled to partner with them on a joint mission to grow soccer in North America.”Relevent chairman and owner Stephen Ross added: “This extraordinary joint venture is the next giant leap in growing soccer’s popularity in North America,” . “This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world.”Furthermore, The Spanish Footballer Association has responded to the plans: “Like usual, La Liga has not consulted the opinions of the players and has made a move that only benefits themselves. This overlooks players health and even more so the feelings of fans who are forced to watch their team abroad.”The news has sparked much speculation that the English Premier League could look into a similar venture, however the dwindling attendances of Premier League clubs in the States over the summer may lead to reluctancy from the league over making this decision. As well as this, the backlash over the previously touted 39th game is likely to be replicated amongst English fans, should the league propose such plans again.ESPN+ well up for the cupLeading US broadcaster, ESPN has reached an exclusive, multi-year rights agreement in the United States for the US on Emirates FA Cup to be broadcast on ESPN+. The agreement will bring 79 FA Cup matches to the US,  kicking off with the first round in November and running through the final, which will be exclusively shown on the subscription streaming service. Additional content will be featured across ESPN+ and other ESPN platforms, including FA Cup highlights shows following match days, FA Cup preview shows and live coverage of the FA Cup draws. Furthermore, the semifinals and final matches of the FA Youth Cup – contested by registered clubs featuring players under 18 years of age – will be carried live on ESPN+.Tom Gracey, The FA’s Senior Broadcast Manager outlined: “The Emirates FA Cup remains the world’s most famous domestic cup competition, with unrivalled appeal both at home and abroad. Thanks to ESPN+, we are delighted that football fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy premium coverage of the competition from the First Round, through to The Final.”BT brings French football back to UK screensAfter much worry that French football wouldn’t be broadcast in the UK, BT Sports has extended its broadcasting deal with Ligue 1, recommencing this weekend and running until 2021. BT hosted an abundance French action last year, however the opening round of fixtures weren’t broadcast in the UK last weekend, leaving many fans to fear the UK platforms had turned their back on the French League. Commenting on the BT Sports website, Andy Haworth, managing director of strategy and content, BT Consumer, said: “We’re delighted to continue as the home of Ligue 1 Conforama until 2021 and we look forward to bringing our viewers comprehensive coverage of all the action from France, with live matches every weekend on TV and mobile via our award winning BT Sport App.“Combined with our lineup of exclusively live matches from the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, Premier League, Emirates FA Cup, SPFL, Betfred Cup, FA WSL and Bundesliga, BT Sport is the best place to be for your football fix across all the major competitions, and using the latest broadcast innovations whether it’s UHD with Dolby Atmos on BT TV or on the award winning BT Sport App.”British Chairmen warn over Brexit backlash British football Chairmen have warned that Brexit could have a significant impact on English football clubs, specifically when it comes to lesser clubs signing top European players.Speaking to The Mirror, Burnley Chairman Mike Garlick emphasised: “The destructive Brexit path being pursued by the government threatens to have a hugely damaging effect on clubs across the country. It threatens to make the widening inequality gap in our top division even worse.“The hit to the value of the pound against the euro, largely caused by Brexit uncertainty, is already making it harder for clubs to sign players. And ending freedom of movement will make it much more difficult for teams to attract the right talent, if the government brings in more restrictive conditions for work visas for players from Europe.”Stoke was also a region that voted heavily to leave the EU in June 2016, however the club’s long serving Chairman Peter Coates also spoke out about the possible implications of Brexit: “The politicians are failing to sort out this mess, and they are not listening to the voices of employers and businesses up and down the country. If this goes badly, it will be places like Stoke that suffer the most.” Vbet sponsors AS Monaco as Ligue 1 kicks off new season August 24, 2020 FDJ’s ParionsSport launches sponsorship programme for French amateur football August 24, 2020 Share Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020last_img read more