When Paige O’Laughlin told sophomore Ziqi Zhang she would transfer to another school from Saint Mary’s after their freshman year together, she said her friend was initially devastated. “A few hours later, she calmed down and told me she absolutely hated my choice, but she supported my decision and said our friendship didn’t have to end because we longer attend the same school,” O’Laughlin said. “Since then it has only flourished. … I attribute my greatest college memories I have made so far to her.” Zhang, 19, died Thursday evening from injuries sustained in an accident between her bike and an SUV outside the entrance to Saint Mary’s on State Route 933. A resident of Regina Hall, Zhang was a dual-degree student majoring in mathematics at Saint Mary’s and taking engineering classes at Notre Dame. She was a resident of Jiangsu Province in China. The accident occurred just before 9 p.m. Thursday, according to a release from the St. Joseph County Police Department. The driver, identified in the report at 34-year-old Erin Zick of Edwardsburg, Mich., told police she had a green light at the time of the accident. The report stated witnesses confirmed Zick’s account and that there is no evidence drugs or alcohol played a role in the crash. For O’Laughlin, Zhang’s friendship will stay with her as she mourns her friend’s death. Her memories with Ziqi on weekend trips to Chicago or hanging out together are some of her best college memories so far, she said. “When she wanted something, she went for it,” O’Laughlin said. “She always tried to turn anything unpleasant into a positive and something funny experience if applicable. She liked to look on the bright side of situations and focus on changing the future instead of dwelling on the past. “I found her attitude and outlook on life completely inspiring, having her as a friend changed me and made me a much better person.” Sophomores L.E. Evans and Jessica Filipski both lived with Zhang in a Regina Hall quad as freshmen. Zhang moved into an empty spot in the quad in the middle of the fall semester. Filipski said the death of her former roommate didn’t seem real when she first heard the news. “I was just really shocked,” Filipski said. “I still am kind of shocked that she’s gone. It’s hard to believe that. “I feel like today, going to classes, it’s more real. Even though she isn’t in any of my classes, she could be going back to class. It’s hard to think about how she will be missing and how her seat will be empty.” Evans remembered Zhang as someone with “genuine spirit.” “She just brought so much life to the room,” Evans said. “She was a genius, so grateful for the opportunity to be at Saint Mary’s and also doing the dual program at Notre Dame. … There’s not enough words to describe what kind of person she was.” The girls remembered joking with Zhang about American customs and slang. Evans said Zhang applied to a number of American colleges while in high school in China, and she planned to stay in the United States for a few years after graduation before returning home to be closer to her family. “What I always found remarkable was that it’s usually a fifth year if you’re doing the dual degree program,” Evans said. “[But Zhang] overloaded on classes. She was a very diligent worker. She wanted to graduate in four years, and she was very dedicated to doing that.” Evans remembered Zhang as a night owl who loved the sitcom Modern Family and Lay’s potato chips, someone who was always joking and smiling. “We would always sit and talk about the American way of doing this or that, she would always say funny things,” Evans said. The girls said they would often joke about American customs with Zhang, who tried to teach Filipski different words in Chinese as well. “I was so bad,” Filipski said. “We would laugh with each other about it. “Her personality shined out. She was so outgoing. She liked to live life to the fullest.” Zhang had not visited her home in China since she moved to the United States as a freshman, Evans said. She planned to return home for winter break this year. “If there’s anything I want people to know it’s just that she is a huge loss,” Evans said. “She was just that person that you could talk to about anything, and she would make you feel better.” College President Carol Ann Mooney expressed her sorrow for Zhang’s death in a statement released Friday. “On behalf of the entire Saint Mary’s College community, I want to express our shock and deep sorrow at the passing of Ziqi,” Mooney said. “We offer heartfelt condolences to her parents and sister and our prayers are with them. “Death is never easy, especially when it is a young person with so much promise.” University President Fr. John Jenkins also released a statement Friday afternoon to join in mourning a Zhang as a student at both Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame. “Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Ziqi Zhang and to the entire Saint Mary’s community,” he said. “Ziqi also was well-known here at Notre Dame, where she was enrolled in the College of Engineering and involved in various clubs and activities. On behalf of the University, our prayers are with all who knew and loved her.” A memorial service for Zhang will be held today at 12:30 p.m. in Regina Chapel. Grief counseling is available to students through Saint Mary’s Women’s Health Center, Campus Ministry and Residence Life and Community Standards. Anyone wishing to contribute to a fund to help Zhang’s family with funeral and travel expenses may send donations to Karen Johnson, vice president of Student Affairs, in 175 Le Mans Hall. Checks should be payable to Saint Mary’s College and indicate in the memo line that the donation is for the Ziqi Zhang family. Johnson told students in an email Monday that the family will receive a list of all donors. Students can also send notes to Zhang’s family by sending them to the same address. The notes will be translated and delivered to her family when they arrive in the United States. Contact Megan Doyle at email@example.com
Gunshots were heard east of Notre Dame’s campus early Saturday morning, the Notre Dame Police Department (NDPD) announced in an email to the University community Saturday. This is the second report of gunshots near campus in eight days, with the first occurring Aug. 30.The shots were heard at approximately 2:32 a.m. near the Remedy bar, just west of the intersection of Ironwood Road and South Bend Avenue, the email said.There were “no reports of injuries and no suspects have been identified,” the email said.NDPD advises individuals to leave areas where there is a fight or disturbance and seek shelter. Anyone with information regarding the incident is encouraged to contact the South Bend Police Department, the email said.Tags: Crime, gun shots, NDPD, South Bend Police Department
MEXICO CITY — Soldiers captured an alleged leader of the notorious Zetas drug cartel, authorities said July 27. Mauricio Guizar Cárdenas was arrested in a hotel in the state of Puebla, the navy said in a statement. He was wanted for the murder of four naval personnel in April and had a rocket-launcher and drugs when troops detained him. Guizar Cárdenas, nicknamed “El Amarillo” (The Yellow), is considered the head of the Zetas in five districts of southeastern Mexico, the statement said. The suspect was transferred to Mexico City for prosecution. [AFP, 28/07/2012; Eluniversal.com.mx (Mexico), 28/07/2012] By Dialogo July 30, 2012
Two former police officers who were members of the $37 million Wilkes-Barre City Employees Federal Credit Union were sentenced Monday in U.S. District Court in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., for participating in a fake loan scheme.Tino Ninotti, a retired police officer for the Wilkes-Barre, Pa., police department, was sentenced to one month in federal prison and two years of supervised release. Jason Anthony, a former Wilkes-Barre city police officer, was sentenced to time served and two years of supervised release with the first three months in home confinement. continue reading » 4SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Loads of water storage options. Fenced all round at lot 18-19 Raff Street, Warra. This cabin is away from it all. A vege garden could go here.More from newsNoosa unit prices hit new record high as region booms: REIQ12 hours agoParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus12 hours ago“This unique property is completely off the grid. No power and water bills and low rates — what more could you ask,” was how Terri Hay and Marg Whip were marketing the property.It holds about 34,000 litres of rainwater and has seven solar panels, with 12-volt power.Located in the town of Warra, about half way between Dalby and Chinchilla in Queensland gas country, the house is literally a three minute walk from the train station, and the little community has a pub, post office, cafe and school. Queensland homes scoop national awards It has four bunks.For just $10,000 more, on the crest of the Great Dividing Range near Toowoomba is a 7.62 hectare estate that’s about the necessities of life.Jason Fitzgerald of Millmerran Rural Agencies was marketing the property as having “nothing left to do”.It has a fully insulated cabin with four beds, a water tank and a basic amenities block, off grid solar power — and unlike some others, it’s not so remote from everything with underground wiring, power and phone services running past the property and sealed road access. There’s a dam on the property too.“Adding to the off grid appeal of this property is approximately 45kl of water tanks spread throughout the allotment,” was how agents Lachlan Brealey and Heath Knox of LJ Hooker Toowoomba described the property at 9 Bloodwood Avenue, Millmerran Woods. “A rare bonus is a well sized dam central to the block.” FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK It’s tidy.For less than a house deposit in the city, you can pick up a completely off-grid single bedroom house on a large 1,971sq m block of land — at just $45,000.The “simple life” was created with a bare cabin, a six-metre long container with kitchenette and bathroom, two other six-metre containers for storage, with connections via breezeways. The whole thing is, of course, fully fenced — high — to keep nasty critters out. MORE: Quade ready to let go — at any cost 9 Bloodwood Avenue, Millmerran Woods, has a front deck. Loads of water storage out back and solar panels on the roof.Costing $109,950, it’s “totally off-grid” with a north facing front deck, open plan living, dining and kitchen — and there’s even a combustion fireplace in the living room “making short work of the cold weather”.The hot water system does run off gas, but the property is serviced by a 2.0Kw solar system with 15kwh battery storage. Cooking outdoors, under the stars.“Everything is ready for you just to come out of a weekend, ideally located within three hours of Brisbane,” the listing said.What it does have plenty of, according to Mr Fitzgerald, was “peace and quiet”.If you really have a bit of cash to splurge, a one bedroom, one bathroom, two car park house on 8.09ha may be the way to go. The trusty dunny. Getting away from it all to a cabin in the woods is possible in Millmerran for $55,000.Ever want to get away from it all, go completely off-grid in case SHTF, doomsday prepper style? You’d be surprised how little it actually costs to do so.If the proverbial stuff does hit the fan and it’s The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), you might want to have one of these stashed away, running off grid, with loads of room to grow your own food, or at least forage for some. Would you buy six houses at once? Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD432p432p216p216p180p180pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenHow much do I need to retire?00:58
30 Stirling Dr sold under the hammer.The designer house at 16 Taylor St in Belgian Gardens also sold under the hammer for $775,000 and 150 Eyre St in North Ward sold at auction for $568,000. This house at 16 Taylor St in Belgian Gardens sold under the hammer on Tuesday.Another two properties at 30 Stanton Terrace in North Ward and 9a Estate St in West End, sold prior to auction, with the remaining four properties passed in. Ms Mahoney said the property at 79 Hammett St in Currajong which was marketed by Mark Pritchard was passed-in at auction but received a lot of interest. “That property in particular had very competitive bidding,” Ms Mahoney said. “It was a fantastic night.” Ms Mahoney said the event was a huge success with two properties snapped up prior to auction and three selling under the hammer. “The room was to capacity,” Ms Mahoney said. “We had a lot of active bidders and the most registrations I have seen in years.“The homes we had up for auction ranged from character homes to new builds.”A two-storey property on Castle Hill at 30 Stirling Drive, sold under the hammer for $1.5 million. More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020 This house at 9a Estate St in West End sold prior to auction at an unisclosed price.NINE properties went to auction on Tuesday night at an event hosted by Ray White Julie Mahoney’s office at Townsville’s Ville Resort and Casino.The auction attracted 27 registered bidders who turned up to offer their best prices, with five of the nine properties marketed by Ray White’s Julie Mahoney and Mark Pritchard selling for between $440,000 and $1.5 million. READ MORE A bid for success under the hammer Transformed pre-war timber cottage named House of The Year READ MORE
Swiss Mediterranean Shipping Company is looking to purchase a share in Medcenter Container Terminal from Italian terminal operator Contship Italia.The parties have entered into negotiations for the transaction of Contship Italia’s 50% shares in CSM Italia Gate, the company that controls MCT, which is the concessionaire of the container terminal activities in the port of Gioia Tauro where MSC is already a partner and the customer.In order to speed up the deal, Contship Italia said it appointed a law firm that will assist the process as well as an independent financial advisor, who has been given the task of expressing the correct value of the terminal activity and assets.During the negotiations, Medcenter Container Terminal will continue to be fully operational. Contship Italia Group started and has been running the now largest Italian container terminal for over 24 years.PRESS RELEASE: Contship Italia Spa has entered into negotiations for #sale of #MCT https://t.co/pC9nCnpBV0 pic.twitter.com/kwh2eRuLbM— Contship ItaliaGroup (@ContshipItalia) March 15, 2019
Brookville, In. — The Franklin County Sheriff’s Department and Margaret Mary Health and Stayin’ Alive in the Prescription Drug Take Back event for Homecoming on Friday, September 22 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Residents are asked to bring unused, expired or unneeded prescription drugs before, during or after the parade. The collection site will be the Brookville United Methodist Church at 150 East Eighth Street.More than 900,000 pounds of unused prescription drugs were collected In Indiana during the spring event.“Too often, unused prescription drugs find their way into the wrong hands. That’s dangerous and often tragic,” said Acting DEA Administrator Chuck Rosenberg. “That’s why it was great to see thousands of folks from across the country clean out their medicine cabinets and turn in – safely and anonymously – a record amount of prescription drugs.”
Read Also: Messi to part company with Barca after contract breakdown Amidst all the rumours about the Argentine captain to leave his beloved club, Sergio Aguero decided to spill the beans about his compatriots future at the Camp Nou while on a live stream video game session. Don Balon claims that the Manchester City forward lost all his attention while playing his video game on live stream and stated that his national team captain will continue as a Blaugrana next season despite the rumours. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The speculation regarding Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona has been going around for the last few months after the rumours state that the player has a strained relationship with debutant Frenkie de Jong, Marc Andre Ter Stegen and Josep Maria Bartomeu. As earlier reported, it stated that the French connection of Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele, and Samuel Umtiti was prepared to go against Lionel Messi’s hierarchy at the club and Josep Maria Bartomeu was on the French trio side since his relationship with the captain has deteriorated vastly this summer. Josep Maria Bartomeu had decided to sell Luis Suarez to make way for a possible world-class striker such as Lautaro Martinez, Timo Werner, and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.Advertisement Promoted ContentWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without Recharging7 African Actresses With Thick Skin Who Got Famous In HollywoodWhat Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?Top 10 TV Friends Who Used To Be EnemiesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?The World’s 7 Most Spectacular Railway Stations5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyMind-Bending Technology That Was Predicted Before It AppearedThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World Sergio Aguero leaked information about Lionel Messi‘s future at Barcelona while on a live video game stream in Manchester. Loading… However, as earlier reported the Gabonese striker had offered himself to the club on one condition that Luis Suarez must vacate his position at the club as the Arsenal forward has no intention of competing for a starting spot in the last few years of his career and Bartomeu was willing to accept the ultimatum by the Arsenal forward until Lionel Messi put his foot down and threatened the board that he would leave the club.