US PGA Championship called off its match in San Francisco due to coronavirus outbreak

first_imgLos Angeles: The US PGA Championship, scheduled to be held in San Francisco from May 11-17, has been postponed due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.“Throughout our evaluation process, we have been committed to following the guidance of public health authorities and given the coronavirus shelter-in-place order in effect in San Francisco, postponement is the best decision for all involved,” said PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh in a statement.“This is a reflection of a thoughtful process.“We are and have been working in concert with Commissioner Jay Monahan and our partners and friends at the PGA TOUR to find an alternative date that works for all. We are all very hopeful for a great outcome,” he added.The US PGA Tour has also announced it was extending its own tournament moratorium.On March 12, the US tour had announced it was canceling or postponing four weeks’ worth of events on all six of its tours through April 5. Now, it will be on hiatus at least up to May 10.“With the most recent recommendations from the Centres for Disease Control, the World Health Organisation and the Office of the President of the United States, the PGA TOUR will now cancel four additional events: RBC Heritage (April 13-19); Zurich Classic of New Orleans (April 20-26); Wells Fargo Championship (April 27-May 3); and AT&T Byron Nelson (May 4-10),” read a statement.Over 100 people have lost their lives in the US due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has globally claimed over 7,000 lives. (IANS)Also Read: Patrick Reed Wins Northern Trust PGA Tournament by One ShotAlso Watch: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi granted bail as NIA fails to submit charge-sheetlast_img read more

Wasim Akram, Babar Azam to inspire Pakistan women’s team

first_imgLAHORE: To help players learn from the crickets elite and remain focused on the game during the COVID-19 lockdown, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has organised online sessions for the Pakistan national womens team with the legendary Wasim Akram and Babar Azam.The interactive sessions will be held via videoconference calls in which around 35 women cricketers — current internationals and emerging players — will be provided insights about how to strategize and approach the game in different conditions. ICC hall of famer and the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket from Pakistan, Wasim Akram, on Monday, will share his experiences and provide an overview about his learnings over the course of his extraordinary 18-year-long international career. Wasim had delivered a similar session to Pakistan men’s and a selection of emerging team players last week. The session with Babar Azam — whose stratospheric rise has seen him at the top of the T20I rankings, number three in ODI rankings and number five in Test rankings — will be attended by women batters in which the captain of the national men’s T20I side will shed light on the art of batting by sharing how he gears up for different conditions and situations. Sharing her excitement about the opportunity to learn from Wasim Akram, Aliya Riaz said: “I have grown up watching videos of Wasim Akram and how he brought laurels for Pakistan with both bat and ball from some adverse of situations. “It is a great opportunity for me and I am eager to learn from the great of the game and understand his work ethic which made him stand apart from the rest.” Looking forward to the session with Babar Azam, Omaima Sohail said: “Babar Azam is a top batsman and a session with him will help all the batters to understand what makes him different than the others and reflect on how we can continue to improve ourselves.” Urooj Mumtaz, the chair of the national women’s selection committee, said: “It is extremely important that the players continue to develop during this phase when cricket is on hold and these sessions are certainly going to be beneficial in that aspect. “We keep looking for ideas to keep the players engaged and motivated. Fitness plans have been provided to both the senior and junior group of players and they have been working at home to ensure they are ready once the situation normalises. “Sessions with Wasim Akram and Babar Azam will provide the players an opportunity to listen and learn from the best, helping them in improving their game. Pakistan has produced some of the most extraordinary cricketers in the history of the game and we will continue to bring them on board for the benefit of our players.” IANS Also Read: Would’ve killed Wasim Akram if he had asked me to do match-fixing: Shoaib Akhtar Also Watch: East Siang District Administration in Arunachal Pradesh cautious over corona viruslast_img read more

D’Tigers Beat Mali to Stay on Course for World Cup Ticket…

first_imgD’Tigers yesterday defeated host country Mali 82-59 in their third game of the FIBA World Cup Africa Qualifying series in Bamako.With this victory, the Ike Diogu led Nigerian team is in the driver seat of Group B.The Nigerian team that had an easy first quarter run of 21-5 advantage, struggled in the second quarter, with the Malians narrowing the gap down to 37-21. They finished the quarter tied on same 16-16. The Alex Nwora led coaching crew watched as the D’Tigers also struggled to avoid a deficit in the third quarter but the home team still managed to lead by a point, ending the period with 21-20 points against Nigeria.Ike Diogu doubled his efforts to ensure Nigeria dominate the last quarter and with the efforts of both Obekpa and Efevberha, the team was able to win the quarter with 25-17 points to close the game at 82-59.Diogu contributed 22 points, Obekpa added 10 rebounds while Efevberha produced eight assists in the game.With the three victories in a row, Nigeria will now go into the next round of qualifiers with six points.The next round is to hold in June and Nigeria is likely to host the FIBA World Cup qualifier which will also feature Nigeria, Uganda, Mali and Rwanda.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Women’s lacrosse to face tough test in Boston

first_imgThis year, Apuzzo is averaging 4.5 goals per game, tied for fourth in the NCAA.  The women’s lacrosse team travels east to Boston this weekend to face off against elite opponents in No. 1 Boston College and Boston University. No. 17 USC is at an all-time record of 12-12 in games on the East Coast. The game against Jacksonville told a different tale. Going into halftime, the Trojans held just a 1-point lead in the back-and-forth game. The offense exploded in the second half to take over the game. Junior midfielder Kerrigan Miller scored 3 second-half goals to help propel the team to a win.  With wins this weekend, the Trojans could extend their win streak to five and likely leapfrog in the NCAA rankings. Wins would also help down the road in May for tournament seeding. Securing the program’s first win against a No.1-ranked team will also boost team morale and confidence.  This weekend brings the Trojans’ first ranked opponent of the season, making it a chance for the team to establish itself among the elite of women’s lacrosse. Miller scored a team-best 5 goals the last time USC played Boston College and will need to put up a similar performance for it to beat the dominant Eagles. Miller said she is not satisfied with the team’s 3-0 start to the season. In last weekend’s games, USC defeated San Diego State 20-16 and Jacksonville University 15-10, improving to 3-0 on the season. In the first half, the Trojans led the San Diego State Aztecs 16-7. USC was able to weather the Aztecs’ comeback and hold on to their victory.  First draw is set for noon Friday at the Newton Campus Field. “At the end of the day, the season is long, and the teams that are still playing at the end of May are the ones that are constantly getting better,” Miller said. “We still have a long journey to go in order to get to where we want to be and reach our full potential,” Miller said. Miller had nothing but good things to say about Apuzzo, her former teammate on the USA National Team.  Perhaps the biggest challenge for the Trojans will be slowing down Eagles senior attacker and last year’s Tewaaraton Award winner, Sam Apuzzo. Apuzzo scored 3 goals and assisted on the game-winning overtime goal against the Trojans last season. “If we place more focus on our development as a team, striving to play to our full potential, our record will take care of itself,” Miller said.  Following their match against the Eagles, the Trojans will play a follow-up match against Boston University. It’s been two years since USC last played the Terriers, a historic first meeting from which the Trojans came away with the win. USC looks to improve its overall record against the Terriers to 2-0 with a win on Sunday. USC likely wouldn’t be undefeated without junior midfielder Kerrigan Miller, whose 7 goals are tied for second on the team. (Michelle Mankoff/Daily Trojan) The Trojans played Boston College last season in a nail-biting match in the team’s home opener at McAlister Field. USC put up a hard fight against the Eagles but was ultimately defeated in overtime, 13-12. “She is by no means a player any team can underestimate,” Miller said.last_img read more

La Liga matchdays return to UK TV on Premier Sports

first_img Belgian Pro League selects bwin as its new betting partner August 4, 2020 Share Related Articles UK pay-TV channel Premier Sports (Sky channel 412/Virgin Media 551) has announced its biggest broadcast agreement to date, taking over full coverage of La Liga until the end of the 2021/2022 football season.Serving as La Liga’s lead broadcast partner for the UK & Ireland, Premier Sports details that it will broadcast matchdays and highlights across multiple platforms, developing its co-branded LaLigaTV channel.Media observers will be monitoring the developments of Premier Sports closely, as former La Liga UK broadcast partner Eleven Sports was forced to terminate its three-year agreement with Spanish football’s top flight, having failed to secure a UK audience.Javier Tebas, LaLiga President commented on the partnership: “LaLiga is enjoyed across the globe, with an especially passionate fanbase in the UK and Ireland.“Through our long-term partnership with Premier Sports, we’re happy to give fans of Spanish football a chance to enjoy LaLiga’s world-class content in a variety of formats, including via OTT and Premier Sports’ linear TV offering, as well as our own dedicated English-language channel, LaLigaTV. We trust that football fans across both these territories will enjoy unprecedented access to the best league in the world.”LaLigaTV is launched as a standalone service via Premier Sports, priced at £5.99 per month (or £49 per year), once the channel is officially launched on Sky TV and Virgin Media networks. Further to its exclusive La Liga content, Premier Sports hosts exclusive rights to broadcast Italy’s Serie A and the Dutch Eredivisie top-flight leagues.Richard Sweeney – Premier SportsPremier Sports La Liga coverage will start with this Friday’s broadcast of RCD Mallorca v Athletic Bilbao (20:00 BST).Richard Sweeney, CEO of Premier Sports added on the deal: “We are thrilled to be announcing this truly unique and game-changing agreement with LaLiga that signals the beginning of an exciting new chapter for Spanish football in the UK.“We are extremely proud to be partnering with LaLiga to begin broadcasting the world’s greatest league to UK and Ireland viewers on Premier Sports and via the soon to be launched LaLigaTV channel.” Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020 StumbleUpon Betway and Dafabet grow La Liga sponsorship portfolios August 14, 2020 Share Submitlast_img read more

Lonzo Ball says his first Lakers practice was ‘a lot more physical’ than college

first_img Miller: Lonzo Ball Era begins and Laker Nation braces with crazy anticipation EL SEGUNDO — The story goes that Lonzo Ball has been told since he was little that he would one day play for the Lakers. That day officially came Tuesday, but if Ball was affected by the weight of the moment, he didn’t show it.It began with his customary breakfast of waffles and eggs – sunny side up. By the time he entered the UCLA Health Training Center there was only the faintest note that Tuesday was different from the dozens of optional workouts he and most of his teammates participated in over the summer.Related Articles “Everybody was anxious to get out there and get it all started,” he said, “so that’s probably the only difference. Guys were still working hard.”Ball said his first practice with the Lakers was “a lot more physical” than what he experienced at UCLA. Lakers start new season with a focus on defense — again Video: Can young Lakers exceed expectations? center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersAmong the 20 players on the Lakers’ training camp roster, Ball said, the excitement was palpable.“You could see the smiles,” Ball said. “Everybody was ready to get after it. Even after the stretch from this morning, everybody was ready to go.”With an early emphasis on defense, Ball said he still needs to better understand rotations and learn Coach Luke Walton’s terminology. But as far as his teammates learning to play at his pace and to look for his passes, that might already have been taken care of.“I think the workouts in the summer kind of put the foundation there,” Ball said. “Obviously you can get better and work on stuff, but definitely (already) got a feel for each other.”Much of the style Walton wants the Lakers to play is intrinsic to Ball’s personal pizzazz, although Walton stressed that the young Lakers “need to be led and shown what to do as far as giving freedom, but having a format behind it.” “Players are naturally going to play a certain style like we saw in summer league, with Lonzo playing and how much he moves the ball,” Walton said. Still, he added, “a lot of it has to be taught by us.”NEW BODY, NEW NICKNAME FOR ZUBACA sobriquet has been bestowed upon second-year center Ivica Zubac around the practice facility: 8-Percent.“They took his body fat today,” Walton said. “He’s down to 8 percent, so that’s his new nickname.”A year ago, Zubac checked in at 19 percent body fat, Walton said. When Zubac reminded his coach of that, Walton responded, “I know. I was making fun of you for that.”Zubac is likely to back up Brook Lopez at the start of the season, although Lopez is dealing with back spasms that for now are limiting him to non-contract drills. Veteran center Andrew Bogut, the native Australian who signed last week, did not practice Tuesday due to issues relating to his visa.The Lakers drafted Zubac with the 32nd overall pick in 2016. As a rookie he averaged 7.5 points and 4.2 rebounds in 38 appearances, including 11 starts. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Rams’ Todd Gurley says knee is healing: ‘We’re going to find out in training camp’

first_img“It’s good, man. It’s good,” Gurley said of his knee, via NFL Network. “I’m just like, hey, we’re going to find out in training camp, you know? Once training camp comes, you’ve got the preseason, but you don’t have a lot in preseason.”Gurley didn’t participate in offseason workouts and the team has been tight-lipped on what it will do about Gurley’s workload going into the season. Related News Todd Gurley said he will be good to go by the time the season rolls around.The Rams running back gave an update on his knee, which hindered him in the latter part of last season. His trainer confirmed earlier in the summer that Gurley has an “arthritic component” to his knee and that Gurley will take it easy when it comes to training camp and the preseason. It appears that the Rams are looking to make sure Gurley stays healthy by restricting his carries and using him in a more limited fashion. The team kept restricted free agent Malcolm Brown and drafted Darrell Henderson.They also have Justin Davis and John Kelly behind Gurley in the lineup.Last season, Gurley rushed for 1,251 yards and 17 touchdowns and had four receiving touchdowns. Overall, it was his best season in the NFL so far. NFL will cover Kendrick Norton’s medical costs after arm amputationcenter_img According to coach Sean McVay, Gurley is losing some weight so he can be utilized more efficiently and the team plans to manage his carries better.However, Gurley said he doesn’t plan to alter his playing style, despite the condition of his knee.”For me, I’ve been doing this my whole life, so it would be so hard for me to even try to change my style of play,” Gurley said. “That’s not even me. I don’t even know how to describe my game. I’m just going to keep doing what I can do until I can’t do it no more. That’s why we play this sport.”But I’ve been feeling good. I’m definitely not going to change anything. I’m going to come with that same mindset like third-and-1, fourth-and-1, I’m gonna try to go get it. So I’m just excited. I know it’s always been a lot of talk going on this whole offseason, so it’s just like, hey, it’s the offseason. That’s what everything is supposed to be about: speculation and reporting. Once the season comes, you gonna see what happens.” NFL training camp 2019: Biggest comebacks to watchlast_img read more

MLB rumors: Much-maligned pitcher Matt Harvey to sign with Athletics

first_imgHarvey, 30, was designated for assignment and released by the Angels in late July after going 3-5 with a 7.09 ERA in 59 2/3 innings pitched.He initially came up with the Mets after being selected in the top 10 in the 2010 draft and was a revelation to New York’s pitching staff. Related News Angels designate Matt Harvey for assignment He went 3-5 with a 2.73 ERA in 10 starts as a rookie and followed that up with an All-Star appearance his next season. He also finished fourth in the National League Cy Young voting in 2013.That is when his troubles began.Harvey was forced to undergo Tommy John surgery and missed all of the 2014 season. He then came back and was very good for New York in 2015 as the Mets made it to the World Series and lost to the Royals in five games.During that series, he became a big story when he refused to come out after tossing eight shutout innings in Game 5, only to allow two runs in the top of the ninth as the Royals tied the game. New York would go on to lose 7-2 in extra innings. Harvey never found his best form again after that, posting a 4.86 ERA in 2016 with his season being cut short due to surgery to repair thoracic outlet syndrome.He then posted a 6.70 ERA in 2017 and a 7.00 ERA in 27 innings with New York in 2018 before he was traded to the Reds following a demotion to the bullpen and a reported evening at a nightclub before a start. He then finished out his season well but did not re-sign in Cincinnati and signed a one-year deal with the Angels this offseason.The A’s are clearly hoping they’ll be able to find the Harvey closer to what showed up in Cincinnati to end the year last season. He posted a 4.50 ERA in 24 starts in one of the best hitter parks in all of MLB. If that Harvey shows up then Oakland will have found a viable starter down the stretch. Matt Harvey has found a home.The much-maligned starter who was once one of the best pitchers in baseball will sign a minor league deal with the Athletics, according to multiple outlets. He will report to the team’s Triple-A Las Vegas club.last_img read more