Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Facebook Topics : Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Google Linkedin The Jakarta Health Agency is expecting fewer cases of the mosquito-borne dengue fever this year.Heavy rain has continued to batter Jakarta in the past couple of weeks as the rainy season continues. This is also the time when dengue-bearing mosquitos are most active.According to Jakarta Health Agency head Widyastuti, 434 dengue fever cases have been reported in the capital as of Feb. 17. Of the figure, 120 were found in East Jakarta, 108 cases in South Jakarta, 106 in West Jakarta, 69 cases in North Jakarta, 27 cases in Central Jakarta and four cases in the Thousand Islands.”Dengue fever is endemic to Jakarta, which means it will always see new cases every year,” Widyastuti told The Jakarta Post on the sidelines of a national meeting between the Health Ministry and local agencies on Wednesday. “We hope to keep the cases under control this year.”The city… #dengue dengue-fever dengue Jakarta-Health-Agency #Jakarta rainy-season #rainy-season
ANNOUNCEMENT by Compagnie Générale d’Entreprises Automobiles on July 4 that it had acquired a 70% stake in the independent Dutch operator Lovers Rail confirms beyond all doubt that the French company is seeking to become a major player in providing contracted rail passenger services across Europe.From humble beginnings running branch line services in Brittany and the trams in Rouen, plus some contracted freight services on the French national network, CGEA’s rail activity has grown rapidly with the acquisition of two large commuter franchises in Britain (Connex South Eastern and Connex South Central). Owned by a large utilities group, CGEA also has a majority interest in Deutsche Eisenbahn Gesellschaft in Germany and is busy looking for opportunities elsewhere – among the more unlikely targets is Gabon State Railways, which is due to be concessioned by the end of this year.The CGEA-Lovers tie-up gives the Dutch company the financial clout to invest in more rolling stock so that it can compete more effectively against Netherlands Railways under the embryonic Dutch open access regime. It has recently secured permission from the Department of Transport to operate on the Leiden – Den Haag CS (17 km), Utrecht – Hilversum (17 km) and Amsterdam – Haarlem (14 km) routes. It proposes to run half-hourly services on all three routes from June next year and it also plans to continue the Amsterdam – IJmuiden service it has run this year.Lovers also had permission this year to run tourist specials from Amsterdam to Lisse for the Keukenhof bulb fields using historic rolling stock – but this attempt failed as no suitable trains were available.Last year Lovers had sought permission to run a Randstad Express service from Utrecht to Hilversum, Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport, Leiden, Den Haag and Rotterdam, but the request was turned down because Railned said there was no spare capacity on some sections of the route.To attract passengers to its services Lovers says it will provide audio-visual travel information on board, advanced seat reservations, carriage of bicycles for ’hardly any extra charge’, plus cheaper tickets for standees. The seat reservations and standee arrangements seem strange, as no trip on the three routes takes longer than 20min. Tickets and reservations will only be available from stations along the Lovers routes, and NS has no plans for through ticketing.Whether these offerings will suffice to woo passengers off NS services will only be known in the course of time. At the moment NS runs a 10min interval service offering 2500 seats /h in each direction between Amsterdam and Haarlem; on the Hilversum route it has a 15min service with 800 seats/h each way; between Den Haag and Leiden there are 12 trains and 3300 seats/h each way. Lovers’ routes are short and isolated, which will not help in making efficient use of rolling stock – it is currently hunting for a fleet of 1·5 kV trains able to run at 140 km/h. It may in the future try and bridge the gaps in its licensed routes and so work towards its objective of a Randstad Express route. It seems that Transport Minister Annemarie Jorritsma-Lebink is desperate to have some competition to prove that third parties can do as well as NS or better. Yet a majority of Dutch MPs opposes the introduction of competition on the core network, mainly because NS makes up losses incurred by running local trains with the profits from its main lines, and the fear is that NS will reduce or withdraw local services if its profitable traffic is creamed off by competitors.Last month CGEA told the Dutch media that it ’did not think this little mouse will grow into a big tiger, but we will certainly try to offer competitive service at a better price.’ o
The €1.3bn timber sector fund has been searching for a merger partner for several yearsMeubel would also keep its two-tier board structure, which would be extended with an employer seat on behalf of Houthandel, according to Lex Raadgever, chairman of the timber trade scheme.Representatives of Houthandel’s participants would also be appointed to Meubel’s accountability body (VO), which represents the scheme’s members.Both pension funds have outsourced their pensions administration to IT firm Centric, having both been forced to replace Syntrus Achmea following the provider’s decision in 2016 to cease services to industry-wide schemes.Meubel’s assets are managed by SEI and Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance (SAREF). BlackRock is the scheme’s fiduciary adviser and Cardano runs its liability-driven investments.BMO Asset Management and SAREF are Houthandel’s asset managers.Meubel’s De Bruijn said that asset management at the merged scheme would be restructured. However, she could not yet provide clarity about the effects for both pension funds.Houthandel had already been considering a merger with the sector scheme for the trade in building materials (Hibin) in 2017, as both employer organisations were discussing a merger. However, as the envisaged co-operation didn’t materialise, the merger between the two pension funds was also called off. The €1.3bn Dutch sector scheme for the timber trade (Houthandel) is to join the €3.1bn industry-wide pension fund for the furniture sector (Meubel).Both schemes and their respective unions and employer organisations have signed a declaration of intent that would result in Houthandel’s liquidation, they announced today.Houthandel and Meubel have been in negotiations since early last year, with the latter wanting to grow, whereas the former reported that it was too small to carry on independently.If regulator De Nederlandsche Bank approves the collective value transfer, Meubel’s membership will grow to 127,000. Petra de Bruijn, chair of Meubel, said that it was exactly the right moment for the value transfer, as the funding of Houthandel (109.3%) and Meubel (108.6%) were almost equal.The pension funds said the merged scheme would retain a single pension plan, while offering choice on the contribution level, accrual rate, and the amount of salary exempt from pensions accrual.
Stuff.co.nz 25 July 2012 The coroner whose findings have implicated Chris Kahui in his sons’ deaths is calling for mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse to prevent further tragedies. The move would help overcome “ethical and legal dilemmas” faced by frontline staff by replacing health professionals’ “discretionary power” with a statutory duty to speak up, Garry Evans says. Making public his 77-page findings today into the twins’ deaths in 2006, he says additional law changes should be considered to make health and education authorities legally responsible for child protection, as they are overseas. He also recommends that child protection teams be introduced at all district health boards to identify at-risk children and intervene. “The populist thought that health professionals should be required to prevent risks posed by patients or report crimes is fraught with risk,” his decision says. “It is little wonder that providers err on the side of caution unless required to disclose by statute. If we expect their assistance, then clear requirements are needed, rather than a maze of discretion.” Mr Evans has ruled that the twins died in the sole custody, care and control of their father, Chris Kahui, who was acquitted of their murders in 2008. No-one else has been charged over their deaths. “In Chris and Cru’s situation, no-one reported to the authorities that they were at risk and, consequently, none of the professionals in their life had any notice that they were being neglected or abused,” a Social Development Ministry submission to the inquest said. In a section of his findings devoted to New Zealand’s shocking child abuse statistics, Mr Evans says injury is the leading cause of death among children. New Zealand’s rate of death by maltreatment for children under 15 is the fifth highest in the developed world, with infants at highest risk. Experts have cited Privacy Act concerns as hindering information-sharing between vital agencies, and said frequent opportunities were missed to identify risk and intervene “long before a death occurs”, he says. A whole generation of New Zealand children had been reared against a background of social and financial deprivation, resulting in current patterns of neglect. “The impoverishment of some of our young people in economic, education, social, moral, mental and emotional health terms cannot be made good overnight.” Mr Evans also cites an increase in “transient, serial personal relationships between men and women”, whose children were suffering as a result. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7342379/Coroner-calls-for-compulsory-abuse-reportingCoroner blames Chris Kahui for twins’ deathsStuff.co.nz 25 July 2012 A coroner has implied that Chris Kahui killed his twin babies and then lied under oath to cover his actions. The landmark report from coroner Garry Evans, which is at odds with Mr Kahui’s 2008 acquittal for the murder of his sons Chris and Cru, raises an “interesting debate” about the meaning of a not guilty verdict and defendants’ right to silence at trial, Mr Evans’ boss, chief coroner Neil MacLean, says. The findings would be looked at with great interest by coroners all over the world, Judge MacLean said. “Implicit in this is a very serious allegation – ‘he did it’.” But despite the damning findings, it is unlikely Mr Kahui will ever be tried again for the twins’ murders because of the protection he gets from “double jeopardy” laws. Lesser charges remain an option, but police say they will not comment on that prospect until they have finished considering the evidence heard during the coroner’s inquest. In his 77-page report released today, Mr Evans is also scathing of the level of child abuse in New Zealand. He recommends law changes to force health professionals to report suspected cases, removing fears around the Privacy Act that sometimes result in deaths. Setting up child protection teams inside all district health boards would also identify at-risk children and lead to greater intervention, he says. “It is little wonder that [health] providers err on the side of caution unless required to disclose by statute. If we expect their assistance, then clear requirements are needed, rather than a maze of discretion.” Mr Evans finds that Chris Kahui was alone with his three-month-old sons for at least three minutes on the day they suffered their fatal injuries in 2006. “The [coroners] court is satisfied . . . that the traumatic brain injuries suffered by Chris and Cru Kahui were incurred by them . . . whilst they were in the sole custody, care and control of their father,” he says. His report also says: “The fact that there was a mixture of both old and fresh injuries affecting the twins is deeply disturbing and shows that the household environment in which they were being brought up was unsafe.” The babies had been left alone with Mr Kahui, 21, by their mother, Macsyna King, on June 12, 2006, when she went to see her sister. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7342374/Coroner-blames-dad-for-twins-deaths
Last April, Jayvee survived an earlierattempt on his life when he was also ambushed outside the city’s Bredco Port. The city’s top cop Colonel Henry Biñas hassince ordered Pastrana to investigate the ambush thoroughly, adding thesuspects involved in the latest ambush may be the same from April and, with theamount of bullet casings recovered. Yvonne questioned as to why her son wasbeing linked in illegal drugs as they did not receive any criminal complaintsnor they were visited by police as part of “Oplan Tokhang.” Jayvee died on the spot. The gunmen thenfled and police have yet to identify them as of this writing. According to Pastrana, at least eight armedmen carried out the ambush and the incident was likely planned. BACOLOD City – The grieving mother of ajail officer killed in an ambush last week is seeking justice. Yvonne Vargas, a public school teacher, claimedthat her son Jail Officer 1 Jayvee Jason Vargas was not involved in any illegaldrug activities. “It is clear the suspects hold a deepgrudge against Vargas,” said Biñas./PN “What has he ever done you wrong? Whydid you kill him?” she lamented. Jayvee together with his threecompanions was ambushed by unidentified gunmen who opened fire at their vehiclein Barangay Pahanocoy shortly before midnight on Friday. Police Station 9 chief Lieutenant JovitoPastrana said prior to the ambush, Vargas was in La Carlota City to follow upon a personal transaction. He then picked up his father at a local cockfightingring. Yvonne Vargas “All I want is justice, justice for myson because the way he was killed was too much,” Yvonne told reporters onMonday.
Local courthouse nativity display at center of First Amendment debate.Update (December 19 @ 6 p.m.)The Franklin County Nativity scene will remain in place for Christmas.Read more here. Update (December 19 @ 12:10 p.m.)A continuance has been ordered and the hearing has been rescheduled for 11:00 a.m. Monday, December 22.First Report (December 18 @ 10 p.m.)INDIANAPOLIS – An injunction hearing scheduled for Friday will decide whether the Franklin County Courthouse Nativity scene is on display during the holidays.The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana hearing is in regards to a Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) request to have the display temporarily taken down until legal proceedings are resolved.Franklin County commissioners Tom Linkel and Tom Wilson will attend the hearing alongside county attorney John Worth and two attorneys from Chicago.The ACLU of Indiana filed a case Tuesday on behalf of the FFRF and two Franklin County residents alleging the Nativity’s location is a violation of the First Amendment.
Virginia (nee: Meyers) Ziegler, age 87 of Carmel, IN passed away Sunday, March 5, 2017 at Brookdale of Carmel. Born April 7, 1929 in Batesville, IN she was the daughter of Walter & Lily (Poske) Meyers.Virginia married Howard Wayne Ziegler on July 29, 1950 in Batesville and he preceded her in death on July 25, 2010. She graduated from Jewish Hospital School of Nursing in Cincinnati, OH and worked for several years as a Registered Nurse. She was a member of Orchard Park Presbyterian Church in Carmel where she served on various boards, was the church organist, pianist and helped start a bell choir. She was a member of Tri Kappa Sorority, P.E.O. and Carmel Women’s Club. She enjoyed bridge and travels.Virginia is survived by her children Dr. Daniel Ziegler (Linda) of Ft. Worth, TX; Thomas Ziegler (Cindy) of Dublin, OH and Mindy Ziegler of Indianapolis, IN. She will also be missed by 5 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren, 8 nieces & nephews. In addition to her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by her daughter Elizabeth Glasson, her brothers Alvin, Paul & Nelson Meyers and 2 nephews.Friends may gather Wednesday, March 8, 2017; 11:00am at Meyers Funeral Home. Burial will follow at St. John United Church of Christ Cemetery.Memorials are suggested to AFTD (Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration) c/o Meyers Funeral Home, P.O. Box 202, Batesville, IN 47006. Online condolences at www.meyersfuneralhomes.com
Greensburg, In. — The Greensburg Dog park is expected to open in the month of May and city officials are looking for help to determine a name for the new facility.Submissions can be made online here and must be made before Sunday, May 6.
Cardiff Devils extended their lead at the top of the table to four points following a 3-0 win at title rivals Nottingham Panthers. Press Association Sheffield Steelers remain in third place despite going down 3-2 to Coventry Blaze after a penalty shoot-out. Mathieu Roy cancelled out Brett Robinson’s opener for Blaze in the first period and although Ben O’Connor put the Steelers ahead in the second, Robinson levelled to force a shoot-out. Blaze pair Drew Fisher and Jordan Pietrus were both on target while visiting goalie Bryan Stewart saved efforts from Steelers’ duo Tyler Mosienko and Ryan Hayes. Manchester Storm beat bottom two rivals Edinburgh Capitals 8-5 in Altrincham. Ned Lukacevic and Trevor Gerling put Capitals two up and although Grant Toulmin pulled one back, Lukacevic and Gerling both struck again to put the visitors 4-1 up early in the second period. But Storm hit back with four unanswered goals from Mathew Sisca, Luke Salazar, Ricards Birzinsh and Patrik Valcak to edge 5-4 ahead. Paul Zanette hauled Capitals level in the third period, but the hosts responded with three more of their own through Matt Paton, Sisca and Vinny Scarsella. Fife Flyers remain 10 points clear of Storm courtesy of their 4-3 victory over Belfast Giants in Kirkcaldy. Goals from Flyers’ Justin Fox and Nicholas Rioux sandwiched one from Giants’ James Desmarais in the first period. Giants responded through Colin Shields and Jonathan Boxill to lead 3-2 heading into the third period, but Nico Sacchetti’s double clinched victory for Flyers. Panthers went into the game on the back of four straight wins in all competitions, but fell behind in the second period through a power play strike from Jake Morissette. Leigh Salters and Guillaume Doucet added further goals in the final period in front of a crowd of 6,556 at the National Ice Centre.